Monday, February 13, 2012

New Music Monday: Katy Perry "Part of Me"



In this first edition of New Music Monday, I wanted to review Katy's latest single.  I have quite a few things that I want to say about it.  First and foremost, I don't hate the song, but I do have some problems with it.  This song was written and recorded long before her divorce from Russell Brand was announced, so the timing of this release seems funny.  Everyone thinks this song was written about Russell, but in reality, it was already made just sitting in the background waiting for the right moment.  To me, it seems like she is cashing in on her failed marriage.  Aside from that, it is also VERY reminiscent of "The One That Got Away".  Everything about it feels very generic, which is par for the course for Katy at this point.  Generic music can be enjoyable, but this doesn't do it for me.  I would just like Katy to pick an image and stick with it.  Switching from Pop/Rock to Bubblegum, now back to Pop/Rock.  If she cements her image and style a bit more, I might buy it, but for now, my grade is: C-.

Available on iTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment